Fifth Third’s “Unlock Your Dreams” campaign, which started yesterday, centers on a scratchcard and a $250,000 sweepstakes. Anyone can enter by stopping at a branch to pick up their game piece, or you also can request game pieces by mail (as is legally required, but who does that?).
In addition to the $250,000 grand prize, the bank is giving away 22 first prizes of $10,000 — one in each of the bank’s regions.
The scratch-off the game pieces reveal one of the following “instant prizes,” most of them contingent on acquiring a new Fifth Third product:
+ One of 42,500 MasterCard gift cards worth $10
+ $50 in a new “Goal Setter” savings account
+ $50 off loan closing costs
+ $50 off mortgage loan app fee
+ 5,000 Bonus Rewards Points with a new Visa credit card
+ 5,300 Bonus Rewards Points with a new home equity line
The value of the campaign’s prizes, including cash and discounts, totals $895,000.
The scratchcards also include a special “code.” To win either of the cash prizes, you have to go to a special microsite for the campaign at www.53unlockyourdreams.com and type in your “code.” But that’s not all you have to type in.
In order to complete your entry at the microsite, you have to give up a lot of personal information — including your name, email, phone number, mailing address and DOB — so the campaign will definitely be a success from an MCIF perspective. Entrants even tell the bank what kind of financial products they might be interested in by checking a lifestyle option like “getting married” or “retiring.”
Services that scale with you.
An annual survey of banking customers and bank leaders reveal how banks need to invest and engage customers in 2024 to earn their loyalty.
The magic of the “code”
From a marketing perspective, the “code” is just a ruse to make the scratchcard more exciting. It gives people the impression that their “code” may “be the one” and they “may already be a winner,” giving them more incentive to visit the microsite and surrender their MCIF profile. In reality, the cash prizes will be given away in a conventional drawing, so the “code’s” only real purpose is to validate entries, thereby preventing contestaholics from repeatedly entering. (Fifth Third is limiting the number of entries each person can have at 20.)
Key Takeaway: Scratchcards tickle people’s gambling nerve center — a juicy marketing tactic.
Bottom Line: This well thought-out and fairly straightforward promo should yield an immediate return in the form of new accounts and new relationships. If they maximize their MCIF opportunities, there should be additional ROI streaming in for months to come.
The contest complements Fifth Third’s slogan, “The things we do for dreams,” which the bank launched back in February.
“This year, our ads have touched on dreams of all shapes and sizes, and have celebrated the steps and sacrifices individuals make today to realize their dreams for tomorrow,” said Terry Zink, EVP/Retail for Fifth Third in a press release.
With $115 billion in assets and 1,300 branch locations, Fifth Third is one of the top 20 banks in the U.S. based on assets.
Fifth Third Unlock Your Dreams – OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: Fifth Third Unlock Your Dreams (the “Promotion”) is open only to legal residents of Pennsylvania, North Carolina, West Virginia, Ohio, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri and Indiana who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry. Employees of Fifth Third Bank, Olson, and ePrize, LLC, and their parent and affiliate companies, suppliers as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. Subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void outside of Pennsylvania, North Carolina, West Virginia, Ohio, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri and Indiana where prohibited. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor and judge’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Promotion and cannot be appealed. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. The Promotion consists of a grand prize drawing (“Grand Prize Drawing”), twenty-two (22) regional sweepstakes (each, a “Sweepstakes”) and a scratch off game (the “Scratch Off Game”).
2. Sponsor: Fifth Third Bank, 38 Fountain Square, Cincinnati, OH 45263. Administrator: ePrize, LLC, One ePrize Drive, Pleasant Ridge, MI 48069.
3. Timing: The Promotion begins on September 1, 2008 at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends on November 24, 2008 at 11:59 p.m. ET (the “Promotion Period”). Administrator’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Promotion.
4. How to Enter: You must obtain a scratch-off card (“Card”) to participate in the Promotion.
How to Obtain a Card: There are two (2) ways to obtain a Card:
Visit a Fifth Third Bank Branch Location: Between September 1, 2008 and October 31, 2008, visit any participating Fifth Third Bank branch location and see a bank representative to obtain a Card, while supplies last. Limit: One (1) Card per day per branch location visit during the Promotion Period.
Mail-in Request: Obtain a Card while supplies last by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to “Fifth Third Unlock Your Dreams-Card Request”, c/o ePrize, LLC, P.O. Box 2184, Royal Oak, MI 48068-2184. Limit: 1 Request per stamped envelope. All mail-in requests must be postmarked by October 31, 2008 and received by November 7, 2008. Proof of request, submission and/or sending will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. Use of any automated system to submit requests is prohibited and will result in disqualification. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, illegible, misdirected or postage-due requests, all of which will be disqualified.
How to Play the Scratch Off Game: Once you have obtained a Card, scratch the surface of the Card to see if you are a potential instant winner of the Scratch Off Game. If you receive a winning message on the Card, you are a winner of the prize indicated. There are two (2) ways to claim your prize.
Visit a Fifth Third Bank Branch Location: Present the Card to a bank representative at any participating Fifth Third Bank branch location to receive your prize by December 8, 2008.
Mail-in Request: Print your name, address, age and phone number on a plain 3”x5” piece of paper and send it, along with the original Card, (send via certified mail return receipt requested) in a properly stamped addressed envelope to “Fifth Third Unlock Your Dreams-Card Redemption”, c/o ePrize Fulfillment Services, One ePrize Drive, Pleasant Ridge, MI 48069. Potential winners should retain a photocopy of their winning Card. Facsimiles, photocopies and mechanically-reproduced Cards are not eligible. Prize claims must be postmarked by December 8, 2008, and received by December 15, 2008 or winner forfeits the prize, which will remain un-awarded. Proof of mailing is not proof of delivery. Once verified as a winner by Administrator, each winner will receive the prize indicated on his/her Card within approximately 8-10 weeks after the conclusion of the Promotion.
For all Prize Claim Requests: If you present a Card which Sponsor verifies as a winning Card, you will receive the applicable prize, subject to the terms and conditions contained in these Official Rules. All of Sponsor’s decisions are final. All materials submitted become property of Sponsor and will not be returned. All winners must comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules. Winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. If, by reason of a printing or other error, more prizes are claimed than the number set forth in these rules, Sponsor will conduct a random drawing among all persons making valid claims to award the advertised number of prizes available. Sponsor will not award more than the advertised number of prizes.
How to enter the Grand Prize Drawing and Sweepstakes: Each Card will contain an entry code (the “Code”) which you can use to enter the Grand Prize Drawing and the Sweepstakes. There are two (2) ways to enter the Grand Prize Drawing and Sweepstakes:
Register online: During the Promotion Period, visit 53unlockyourdreams.com and fill out the online entry form. Complete and submit the online entry form, including a valid home address. P.O. Boxes are not permitted. You automatically will be entered with one (1) entry into the Grand Prize Drawing and one (1) entry into the Sweepstakes which corresponds to the Sponsor-designated region in which you reside (the regional sweepstakes you are entered into will be based solely on the home address you provide upon registration).
Mail-in Registration Request: Print your name, address, email address, age and phone number on a plain 3”x5” piece of paper and send it, along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope and the original Card, (send via certified mail return receipt requested) in a properly stamped addressed envelope to “Fifth Third Unlock Your Dreams-Grand Prize Drawing/Sweepstakes Registration”, c/o ePrize, LLC, P.O. Box 8070, Royal Oak, MI 48068-8070. Limit: 1 Request per stamped envelope. Upon receipt, Administrator will utilize the Code to enter you with one (1) entry into the Grand Prize Drawing and one (1) entry into the Sweepstakes which corresponds to the Sponsor-designated region in which you reside (the regional sweepstakes you are entered into will be based solely on the home address you provide upon registration). Proof of request, submission and/or sending will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. All requests become the exclusive property of Sponsor, and none will be acknowledged or returned although the original Card will be returned to you in the self-addressed, stamped envelope. Use of any automated system to submit requests is prohibited and will result in disqualification. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, illegible, misdirected or postage-due requests, all of which will be disqualified. Requests must be postmarked by November 17, 2008, and received by November 24, 2008.
For all entries: Limit: Each entrant may enter/play the Promotion one (1) time per day up to a maximum of twenty (20) times during the Promotion Period. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same email address. Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that entrant’s entries and that entrant may be disqualified. Use of any automated system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification. In the event of a dispute as to any registration, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the registrant or player. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. The potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder.
5. Grand Prize Drawing & Sweepstakes Drawing: Administrator is an independent judging organization whose decisions as to the administration and operation of the Grand Prize Drawing and Sweepstakes and the selection of the potential winners are final and binding in all matters related to the Grand Prize Drawing and Sweepstakes. Administrator will randomly select the potential Grand Prize Drawing and Sweepstakes winners from all eligible entries received during the Promotion Period, on or around December 10, 2008. The potential Grand Prize Drawing and Sweepstakes winners will be notified by mail, email or phone. Each potential winner (parent/legal guardian if winner is a minor in his/her state of residence) will be required to sign and return to Sponsor, within seven (7) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability & Publicity Release in order to claim his/her prize. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, or fails to sign and return the Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability & Publicity Release within the required time period, potential winner forfeits prize. Potential winner must continue to comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. In the event that a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor will award the applicable prize to an alternate winner by random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries. Only three (3) alternate drawings will be held after which the prize will remain un-awarded. Prizes will be fulfilled approximately 8-10 weeks after the conclusion of the Promotion.
6. ALL POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY SPONSOR OR ADMINISTRATOR, WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE PROMOTION AND CANNOT BE APPEALED. AN ENTRANT IS NOT A WINNER OF ANY PRIZE, EVEN IF THE SCRATCH OFF GAME, GRAND PRIZE DRAWING OR SWEEPSTAKES SHOULD SO INDICATE, UNLESS AND UNTIL ENTRANT’S ELIGIBILITY, AND THE POTENTIAL WINNERS HAVE BEEN VERIFIED AND ENTRANT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED THAT VERIFICATION IS COMPLETE. SPONSOR WILL VERIFY ALL SUBMITTED CARDS. A CARD IS INVALID AND WILL BE REJECTED IF: (A) IT HAS BEEN TAMPERED WITH IN ANY WAY; (B) IT HAS BEEN COUNTERFEITED OR REPRODUCED, IN WHOLE OR IN PART; (C) IT HAS BEEN OBTAINED WHERE THE PROMOTION IS PROHIBITED; (D) IT HAS BEEN OBTAINED OUTSIDE OF AUTHORIZED CHANNELS; (E) IT IS DAMAGED OR MUTILATED; OR (F) IT CONTAINS ANY PRINTING, PRODUCTION, TYPOGRAPHICAL, MECHANICAL, SEEDING OR OTHER ERRORS. YOU HAVE NOT WON ANY PRIZE UNTIL YOUR CARD AND YOUR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES HAVE BEEN VERIFIED. PARTICIPANTS ASSUME ALL RISK OF LOSS, DAMAGE, DESTRUCTION, DELAY OR MISDIRECTION OF PROMOTION MATERIALS SUBMITTED TO SPONSOR. SPONSOR WILL NOT ACCEPT SCREEN SHOTS OR OTHER EVIDENCE OF WINNING IN LIEU OF ITS VALIDATION PROCESS. ANY PLAY THAT OCCURS AFTER THE SYSTEM HAS FAILED FOR ANY REASON IS DEEMED A DEFECTIVE PLAY AND IS VOID AND WILL NOT BE HONORED.
Grand Prize Drawing prize: ONE (1) GRAND PRIZE: $250,000 in cash. Approximate retail value (“ARV”): $250,000. Odds of winning the Grand Prize depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Promotion Period.
Sweepstakes prizes: TWENTY-TWO (22) FIRST PRIZE (ONE (1) PER REGION): $10,000 in cash. ARV: $10,000. Odds of winning a First Prize depend on the number of eligible entries received per region during the Promotion Period.
Scratch Off Game prize: FORTY-TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED (42,500) SCRATCH OFF GAME PRIZES: $10 MasterCard gift card. ARV: $10. Odds of winning are 1:400.
For All Prizes: Terms and conditions of gift card apply. All prizes are non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any listed prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason. Winners are responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use. TOTAL ARV OF ALL PRIZES: $895,000.
8. Release: By receipt of any Grand Prize Drawing, Sweepstakes or Scratch Off Game prize, winner agrees, at all times, to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Olson & Company, ePrize, LLC, and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, causes of action, demands, losses, liabilities and damages of any kind whatsoever (including, but not limited to, personal injury, bodily injury, death, disability and damage to or loss of property), costs and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees, court costs, settlement and disbursements) directly or indirectly arising out of participation in the Promotion, the redemption, acceptance, receipt, possession, use or misuse, loss or misdirection of any prize and participation in any prize-related activities.
9. Publicity: Except where prohibited, participation in the Promotion constitutes winner’s consent to Sponsor’s and its agents’ use of winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without notification, approval, payment or consideration.
10. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Promotion, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Grand Prize Drawing, Sweepstakes or Scratch Off Game, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Grand Prize Drawing, Sweepstakes or Scratch Off Game or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Grand Prize Drawing, Sweepstakes or the Scratch Off Game may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
11. Limitations of Liability: The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing, typographical, mechanical, seeding or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Promotion; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Promotion or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. Sponsor’s liability for Cards containing printing or other errors is limited to replacement with another eligible Card, while supplies last. If for any reason an entrant’s entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Grand Prize Drawing or Sweepstakes, provided that if it is not possible to award another entry due to discontinuance of the Promotion, or any part of it, for any reason, Sponsor, at its discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In event that production, printing, technical, seeding, programming or any other reasons cause more than stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be available and/or claimed Sponsor reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by a random drawing among all legitimate, un-awarded, eligible prize claims.
12. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (Southern Division) or the appropriate Michigan State Court located in Oakland County, Michigan; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Promotion, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) unless otherwise prohibited, under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Promotion, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Michigan, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Michigan or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Michigan. The value of the Grand Prize Drawing and Sweepstakes prizes set forth above represents Sponsor’s good faith determinations of the ARV thereof and such determinations are final and binding and cannot be appealed. If the actual value of any prize turns out to be less than the states ARV, the difference will not be awarded in cash.
14. Winner List: Winner List requests will only be accepted after the promotion end date (listed above) and no later than April 1, 2009. For the Winner List, send an email with subject line: “M – Fifth Third Unlock Your Dreams, Winner List Request,” to [email protected].