Articles by Ron Shevlin

Don't miss THE FINANCIAL BRAND FORUM, the biggest and best conference on marketing, CX, and digital growth strategies in the banking world — May 20-22, 2024. Join over 3,000 of banking's best and brightest for three days jam-packed with big ideas, latest trends, and groundbreaking innovations that are transforming the industry today. SIGN UP NOW.

What Bank Marketers Should Know About The Fed’s Survey of Consumer Finances

According to a recent Federal Reserve Bulletin: “The Federal Reserve Board’s triennial Survey of Consumer Finances (SCF) collects information about family incomes, net worth, balance sheet components, credit use, and other financial outcomes. The 2013 SCF reveals substantial disparities in the evolution of income and net worth since the previous time the survey was conducted, […]

Banks’ Digital Marketing Hyperopia

Don’t bother looking it up. Hyperopia is a term that refers to far-sightedness–for the purpose of this blog post, it’s important to know that it’s the opposite of myopia. Myopia being the term used by Kevin Tynan, CMO of Liberty Bank for Savings, in an editorial in American Banker titled Banks Have a Case of […]

Rethinking Social Media Marketing

Does Social media marketing have a strong influence on consumers' decisions? Banks must re-think the objectives of social media marketing.

PwC Data on Banking in 2020

PwC released an excellent report recently, titled Retail Banking 2020: Evolution or Revolution? Reading through the report triggered some thoughts:  PwC: Fewer than 20% of (banking) executives feel well-prepared for the future. My take: The other 80% told the truth. ———– PwC: 70% of global bank executives believe it is very important to consider how […]

The Myopia in the Banking Industry

The path to success in banking isn't about moving money faster. It's about developing products and services to help the next generation.

The Power of Brand Management

Does brand management really pay off for banks and credit unions? Or is branding just an empty and abstract concept propagated by consultants?

The Empty Promise Of Big Data

An analytics expert outlines why financial marketers should dodge the “big data” trap and dump the term completely. A good discussion ensues.

Are There A Billion Mobile Bankers In Banking?

Someone recently forecast that, by 2017, there will be one billion mobile banking consumers across the globe. Having forecast mobile banking consumers myself (just US, not globally), I’m interested in these projections as a sanity check against my own numbers. Here’s my quick and dirty analysis to see if the 1 billion number is reasonable. […]