What is the #1 most successful office tool used by the top-ranked wealth management advisors. Click here to find out.
Kiran | Branch Workforce Evolution White Paper

What’s the Deal with Financial Ad Disclosures?*

(*See below for details.)

Some financial ads look like they were written backwards: leave two inches at the bottom of the ad for disclosure, then put in a big rate, and put the logo in the space that’s left. There are many 60-second radio ads where the disclosure is almost half the spot.

When an ad has more words in the disclosure than the rest of the ad, you have to wonder: Who’s writing the ad copy? The marketing department? Or the compliance officer?

Big brands don’t seem to struggle with this. Washington Mutual once ran three consecutive full-pages of ads — each page promoting a separate product — and the disclosures totaled less than 50 words. That’s a little longer than this paragraph.

Reality Check: From the consumer’s perspective, a ton of disclosure statements makes it look like there’s a catch. It makes it look like you’ve got to jump through hoops. It looks bureaucratic. Complicated. Legalistic. It doesn’t look easy.

“When there’s more disclosure than advertising, you may want to rework the process,” advises Anthony Demangone, Director of Regulatory Compliance, NAFCU. (Demangone is also NAFCU’s chief blogger on compliance issues under the nom-de-com, “The Compliance Guy.”)

“You can over-manage risk. You never can eliminate all risk,” cautions Demangone.

D+H | Business Intelligence + Analytics Whitepaper

Perhaps part of the problem lies with compliance officers who assume disclosure regulations apply equally to all media, all channels, all the time. The NCUA for instance makes distinctions between what must be disclosed in a branch vs. a brochure vs. websites. They even make a distinction between what must be disclosed in print ads vs. television and radio ads.

When it comes to disputes between marketing and compliance departments, Demangone wonders how these are handled. “Isn’t the CEO the only person they can take the issue to?” he asks. Good point. Ad disclosures seem way beneath a CEO’s radar.

Demangone offers this last bit of advice: “An attorney can help you find the minefields.”

Key Takeaway: If an ad has more than 50 words of disclosure, either the offer is too complicated or the compliance folks are overzealous.

If WaMu can find a way to pull it off, you can too. Considering all the newspapers WaMu runs their ads in… all the compliance people… all the regulatory bodies keeping an eye on them — one of the nation’s biggest banks — there’s clearly a way.


All content © 2017 by The Financial Brand and may not be reproduced by any means without permission.

Digital Banking Report | 2017 Marketing Trends


  1. Mike Templeton says:

    I was just noticing this same situation comparing game pieces from a Fazoli’s in store contest (not a financial brand, I realize, but hear me out). Each piece had a different prize, one from Fazolis and one from Blockbuster.

    The statement of what you won from Fazoli’s took up 75% of the game piece with a small one or two sentence disclosure at the bottom.

    The Blockbuster piece described the prize in a miniscule font at the top of the piece, occupying roughing 10% of the space. The other 90% of the available space was filled with even smaller text disclosing how the piece could be used, on what products, where it could be used and so on.

    Needless to say, I threw away the Blockbuster prize and kept the Fazoli’s game piece. Like you mention above, the Blockbuster prize just seemed to good to be true with all the disclaimer text, so I just decided not to deal with it. I imagine financial customers would take a similar action.

  2. Syndey Russell says:

    This article is hilarious to read in 2016 given the collapse of WaMu! Who is overzealous now??

Speak Your Mind


Show Comments